360° Photography

Click on the links to view

Use your mouse to control the direction and experience a 360° view of selected York Conservation Trust properties.

HO: 92 Micklegate, York YO1 6JX +44 (0) 1904 651 880Telephone:
+44 (0) 1904 627 205Fax:
info@yorkconservationtrust.orgE-mail:

The Old Rectory, 7A Tanner Row

Back to Tanner Row

Formerly known as 7A All Saints Rectory, Tanner Row, the property bears on modern plaster at the back the dates 1498-1937; the latter is the date of a restoration undertaken by the Rev. P. Shaw when Rector of the adjacent All Saints’ Church. No evidence for the date 1498 has been discovered, and the structure is probably of circa 1600 or later. The building is timber-framed in three bays; it originally had no chimney and there is no evidence of any internal partitions. This suggests that it may not have been built as a house, but because of its situation near the river frontage it would have been suitable for a warehouse. The house has been considerably altered by the insertion, probably in the late 17th century, of a central chimney-stack with back-to-back fireplaces at ground floor, and partition walls in both storeys. A splendid oak staircase of circa 1640, said to have come from Alne Hall, was inserted in 1937.

The elevation to Tanner Row is gabled, with jetties at first-floor and at eaves level; the ground floor has been rebuilt in brick with hung-sash windows; the upper part is stuccoed and also has later windows. On the west side the framing is exposed; the windows, two blocked below and two renewed above, occupy original window positions.

Internally, much of the original framing remains exposed in the east and west walls, together with the chamfered beams and the joists which carry the upper floor. Between the main cross-beams there are spine beams carrying the joists, except in the north bay where the joists run longitudinally to form the jetty. In the attic the floor is of gypsum carried on exposed timbers. The roof is carried on simple trusses with purlins framed to the principal rafters.

In 1996 the Trust purchased, restored and converted the property into two units both with full facilities without detracting from this historic building in any way. A small inner yard serves the front property and a larger paved yard serves the smaller rear unit.

Property Search

Use the search facility to find a property Input a street address or property name into the box below and click the Search button to find out if we are involved with a particular property.

Search this Site with PicoSearch